Causes of Obesity
- 1 Causes of Obesity
In this article, I will explain about major causes of obesity along with other features that are associated with the obesity. But before I proceed to causes of obesity, let us discuss what is obesity.
What is Obesity?
When fat starts accumulating in the body above the normal limit, then this condition is called as obesity. In other words, BMI over 25 is termed as obesity.
Grades of obesity/BMI
To know more about Causes of Obesity, first let me explain Different grades of obesity.
There are different grades of obesity for example
BMI value between 25-30 is grade 1 obesity or overweight.
BMI value ˃ 30-40 is grade 2 obesity
BMI value ˃40 is grade 3 obesity or called as morbid, severe or extreme obesity.
Obesity is the weight for height above from the normal.
Causes Of Obesity
Here I have listed all major Causes of Obesity:
- Lack of physical activity
- Eating too much
- High intake of sugar and sweet products
- Taking too much alcohol
- High intake of junk foods and cold drinks
- Taking high calories and not spending them at all.
- Too much carbohydrates consumption amount.
- The genetic factor is also a cause of obesity.
- Stress is something that causes obesity because, in the state of stress, a hormone called as cortisol is released that triggers the release of triglyceride (fatty acids) at putting them into the fat cells in the deep storage. Cortisol is something that increases your appetite also. That’s why some people eat more food in stress state unconsciously. So, don’t take stress ever, it’s a very bad thing.
Symptoms of Obesity
Taking excess of everything you eat above than the normal recommended
- Excessive sweating
- Lethargy and fatigue
- Joints pain
- Snoring loudly
- Less confidence
- Isolated and low morale, consider that they have a bad look and underestimate their self.
- Psychologically sickness like depression etc.
- Cardiovascular disease
- High cholesterol levels because fat is accumulating in obese people
- Diabetes especially type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Thirst feeling all the time
- The doubled rate of other diseases
Diagnosis of obesity
Now that are aware of the Causes of Obesity and its associated features, lets discuss how to diagnose it. As such extreme obesity does not need to diagnose because their physical appearance tells then all but starting of obesity that is overweightedness or grade 1 obesity can be diagnosed by calculating the body mass index BMI of the person.
- BMI between 25-29 is considered as overweight
- BMI between 30-39 is considered as obese or grade 2 of obesity
- BMI that is above 40 or more is very obese or 3rd-grade obesity.
- BMI is calculated by taking the weight in kg divided by height in m2
Another method to diagnose obesity is to measure the waist circumference. For males, waist circumference 94 cm or above is considered as obese and for female’s waist circumference 80 cm or above is said to be obese. Waist circumference is measured by placing the inch directly to your last rib by keeping it horizontal to the top of your hip bone .this is approximately in line with your navel. Take a deep relaxing breath and note your waist circumference. It is very easy. Focus on quality Nutrition for ideal weaight.
Mostly, it is preferred that you should consult your doctor if you are getting obese. Other tests that your doctor will recommend you to be performed are
- Measuring glucose levels
- Measuring fat(lipid) levels
- Measuring blood pressure
According to the world health organization (WHO) report, the rate of obesity has tripled since 1975 worldwide. In 2016, 1.9 billion adults were overweight and about 650 million people were obese. While seeing the rate of obesity globally, most of the countries have issues of overweight and obesity worldwide more than underweight issues. At age 18 and above, about 39 percent of adults were overweight and 13 percent were obese. Under 5 years of age, 41 million children were overweight or obese in 2016. In 5-19 years of age, over 340 million children and adolescents were obese.
Prevention of obesity
The only way to treat obesity is to control your diet, avoid taking junk foods, foods high in sugar content cold drinks, smoothies, cakes etc. Keep yourself as active as possible. Do proper exercise daily otherwise walk must be done. Don’t take high fat and high-calorie food like chips, lollies, and chocolates, burgers etc. Make the water as your main drink. See motivational videos to keep you energetic and strict to your diet and exercise .you must remain with ideal weight people to get an inspiration from them. Avoid sitting idle all the time and watching TV by sitting for hours . You are the only one to keep yourself motivated to idealize your weight. Change your lifestyle completely. Those who have obesity in their genes, can remain perfect always just by taking preventive measures
Treatment of obesity
If you are getting obese and want to lose your weight, then meet your doctor first of all. After doing tests, he will prescribe you the medicine which you have to strictly follow and must take precautionary measures while taking medicines. But make sure that you should not start medication yourself because there are many fat reducing medicine that are dangerous for health and are not prescribed by the Doctors, also there are appetite suppressant medicines but by taking them you are harming youselves. Weight lose medicines which doctor suggests are good but they are not suitable for children and pregnant mother. Read here about Celiac Disease.
For grade 3 obesity which is very very difficult to control, surgery can be done which is called as obesity surgery or bariatric surgery.
Treatment of obesity through food
Foods that fight obesity are:
- Wild salmons
- Coconut water
- Grape fruit
- Red grapes
Negative calorie foods
Negative calorie foods are good for weight loss because they consume calories for their digestion and keep your weight ideal, they are high in fiber and have the low glycemic index, so more calories are utilized in their digestion that is very good for your body. They take more time to pass out from your body and give you a feeling of fulfillment and also, they release sugar very slowly. Read here about Malnutrition Signs.
Salads for weight control
Salads are another best way to control your weight. Take salad with your every meal. Besides this salads are the good snack also. Here, a main thing to mention that these are just green salads/vegetable salads. Because leafy green vegetables provide us with very low calorie. These vegetables are cruciferous or leafy like lettuce, cabbage etc and other green vegetables of which a good salad can be made are cucumber etc. List of Iron Rich Foods.
Other foods to treat obesity
- Plant based diets
- Whole grains
- Limited amount of reduced dairy fat, eggs lean meat and fish.
Placebo effect is something very effective .An, inert, harmless medication given to provide comfort and hope is called and the placebo effect. You must keep it in your mind always that whatever medication or dietary treatment you are taking will definitely make your weight ideal and this will amazing results that you can’t even imagine. Brain is a very big power so if you tell your brain that you are going to be fit than definitely, you will become fit. Although, it takes some time, but you should not lose hope and continue your treatment and your continuous struggle will definitely prove fruitful. Here is the List of Foods Rich in Vitamin A.
Treatment of Obesity through physical activity
Proper physical activity is very necessary to control your weight. Regular exercise is a very important thing. Atleast 30 minutes of daily exercise is very necessary, you can divide this into different sessions as per your capacity but don’t leave it in the middle .once to decided to do exercise than don’t leave it ever otherwise you may get more obese. If you want to lose weight than you should do exercise 40-45 minutes daily. Along with exercise, you can do any other physical activity you like swimming etc. Physical activity will not only help you to make your ideal weight but also prevent the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Read here about Calcium Rich Foods.
Childhood obesity is something a very bad and dangerous issue . It is the very serious medical condition . Children who are obese have the greater weight for their age and height (Causes of Obesity). It is mostly in the case when both the parents are obese and children become like adult obese people along with high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Childhood obesity lead children towards low self esteem and ultimately low self confidence, learning problems , bad behavior, and depression and prone towards many other diseases.
Control of childhood obesity
Some children have larger body frames above from the normal values so if your child seems to have overweight and if you are very much conscious about your child’s health than consult a doctor first so that he may check his body frame by comparing it with standard values and charts (Causes of Obesity). So here are the things, you can do control your child’s obesity;
- First of all, make your child physically very much active. Make sure that your children do jumping walking another physical activity he likes because unfortunately children of now-a-days have limited their physical activity and keep sitting in front of TV, mobiles and tablets. Make his habits of outdoor gaming that will give him mental freshness and will control his obesity as well.
- Control his eating and give him a good and balanced diet.
- Limit child’s consumption of sugar and sweetened products that give him only calories and nothing more like cakes etc
- Give plenty of fruits and vegetables to your child.
- Limit his TV habit and other screen timings.
- Don’t give junk foods and fizzy drinks to your child at all.
- Give him a proper required amount of water daily.
- Consult your child’s doctor frequently
- Keep checking his weight after weeks and do check BMI values.
- Otherwise, slightly overweight children just have to increase their physical activity and if mothers are more conscious a about them, they they can be get checked once in a year. It is advised that Causes of Obesity, must be read in detail for better understanding of the disease.
So, I hope you all have got a complete awareness about obesity (Causes of Obesity) and it’s dangerously increasing risks. Obesity is preventable which is a very good news . All you have to do is to just prevent you from the things that causes obesity and should do some physical activity on the regular basis so that you might help yourself and your next generation from getting obese. Hopefully, this article is providing you the best information related to each and everything about obesity. So, eat a balanced diet and remain healthy, enjoy your good appearance and an ideal weight. Good luck!